Count Dohna and His SeaGull ©
Ships - Farringford
Farringford, a British steamship, was captured and sunk by SMS SeaGull in the afternoon of January 11, 1916, 150 miles west by north 3/4 north from Cape Finisterre, Spain.
Farringford was an English steamship of 3,146 tons, built by Joseph L. Thompson and Sons at Sunderland, England in 1896. She 325 feet in length, owned by the Harrogate Steam Ship Company, Sunderland, England and operated by Far East and Australia Company.
The ship was named after the Farringford House in the town of Freshwater on the Isle of Wight, England. This was the country estate of Alfred Tennyson, Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom from 1850 to 1892.
When captured Captain John Parry Jones was in command with a crew of 24, sailing from Huelva, Spain to Garston, on the Mersey just south of Liverpool, England. She carried a cargo of 4,300 tons of copper ore.
During the transfer to the SeaGull one crewman suffered a broken leg when he jumped into a lifeboat.
The captain and crew arrived at Hampton Roads, Virginia on February 1, 1916 aboard the English liner Appam. They then sailed from Norfolk on the Old Dominion steamer Jefferson, arriving in New York on the 4th. They departed on the White Star liner Baltic for Liverpool, England on February 10.
Some records report the name of this ship as Farrington.
DER MOEWE FAHRTEN UND UBENTEUER, by Graf zu Dohna.
HILFSKREUZER MOEWE, by Otto Mielke, SOS Schicksale Deutscher Schiffe.
Last Revision: March 4, 2007.
© Copyright smsMoewe.com, 2007.
All Rights Reserved. All Content Protected.