Count Dohna and His SeaGull ©
Ships - King George
King George, a British steamship, was captured and sunk by SMS SeaGull in the early evening of December 8, 1916, 700 miles east 1/2 north from Cape Race, Newfoundland.
King George was a British steamer built in 1906 by R. Craggs and Sons, Tees Dockyard at Middlesbrough, England. She was owned by Glasgow King Shipping Company, Glasgow, Scotland and managed by J. A. Walker and Company, Glasgow. She was 350 feet in length and of 3,852 tons register.
The ship was named for George IV, King of the United Kingdom from 1820 until his death in 1830.
Captain John Burnett was in command when King George began her last sailing from Philadelphia on November 24, 1916 bound for Manchester, England. She had a cargo of 4,500 tons including pig iron, steel, oil, nails and 685 tons of explosives.
On December 12, her captain and crew were transferred to the captured British ship Yarrowdale and arrived at Swinemuende, Germany on December 31, 1916. Five sailors from neutral nations were released and 26 including the captain were interned as prisoners of war.
RELATED WEB SITES:
Prisoners of War 1914-1918 The King George captain and crew listed as POWs.
THE LOG OF THE MOEWE, by Graf zu Dohna.
HILFSKREUZER MOEWE, by Otto Mielke, SOS Schicksale Deutscher Schiffe.
Last Revision: March 4, 2007.
© Copyright smsMoewe.com, 2007.
All Rights Reserved. All Content Protected.