Count Dohna and His SeaGull ©
Ships - Pionier
Pionier, renamed Miami sailed for Elders and Fyffes as a fruit transport.
Pionier was built by J. C. Tecklenborg, Geestemuende, Germany, in 1914. She was launched for F. Laeisz specifically for the banana trade between the German protectorate of Cameroon and Hamburg, Germany. During the war, the German Navy leased the ship for use as a naval accommodation ship and was based at Eckernforde Bay, Germany. She was 387 feet in length, 4,689 tons with a speed of 13 knots and was equipped with wireless and refrigerated cargo spaces.
In 1919 she passed to the British Shipping Controller as war reparations. In 1920 she became Miami of the Elders and Fyffes Company, Liverpool, England. Her sister ship, SeaGull was transferred to Elders and Fyffes at the same time and renamed Greenbrier. In 1933 both ships were sold to Midgard Deutsche Seeverkehrs, Nordenham, Germany. Miami was renamed Nordenham and her sister ship Greenbrier was renamed Oldenburg. They were used in the fruit trade.
Nordenham was requisitioned at the start of World War II and served the German Navy as a hospital transport ship. She was torpedoed by the Russian submarine SC-309 and beached on December 7, 1944 off Libau, Latvia with the loss of nine lives. She was later towed to Windau, Latvia and scrapped.
British Shipping Controller
MERCHANT FLEETS: ELDERS and FYFFES and GEEST, by Duncan Haws.
THE WORLD'S MERCHANT FLEETS, 1939, by Roger W. Jordan.
F L, A CENTURY AND A QUARTER OF REEDEREI F. LAEISZ, by H. C. P. Rohrbach, et al.
Last Revision: March 4, 2007.
© Copyright smsMoewe.com, 2007.
All Rights Reserved. All Content Protected.